Wednesday 23 April 2014

Getting Acquainted


It was the Friday before Good Friday, and I was motivated to go into Contours to get acquainted with the people and the facility.  I knew the next week would be out of the question. Easter preparations were going to be very time consuming, and with "no time like the present," urging me on one hand so to speak, and  a touch of self doubt on the other, I called to make my appointment for 30 minutes in their infrared sauna. This way I would at least get the process started. 

As with anything new regarding my health, I had to "google" it  before  taking part. I wanted to know how safe, and if there are any health benefits.  Here is what I found:  


AND. . . 



"Affecting everyone:

• Overheating (heat exhaustion and heat stroke)
• Dehydration
• Using the sauna while drinking or after drinking alcohol
• Depleting your electrolytes or minerals through sweating
• The effects of mobilized toxins

It is, as well, not recommended to use the sauna during an acute illness or injury where it may interfere with the natural healing process. For example, it is recommended to avoid sauna use during the first 48 hours of an acute sprain-type injury.

Affecting only some people:
• Adverse effects on certain medical conditions
• Interference with the absorption and/or effects of certain medications
• Adverse effects on some implants"

I thought the effects of mobilized toxins part was interesting.  A good read that part. 


So much to read on infrared saunas!  It must be the latest thing.  All the warnings looked reasonable for any sauna or hot tub, nothing unordinary. In other words, "it's all good".  As for health benefits, every article I read said "good for arthritis" amongst other things. Could I be anymore encouraged? 


I came in the afternoon, and drove into an appealing location on Apirana Rd. I mean how convenient to be one floor above Nosh, a massage-facial salon, on a road with little traffic, and a cafe on the corner. Let’s not forget plenty of parking.  

  
Dale was expecting me.  We sat a little.  It was clear, she was genuinely interested in my purpose for being there, and what makes me comfortable. I would say she is very professional with a tender personal touch.  You can tell she is really listening and not just trying to get on with things; a naturally talented problem solver. I am sure she had 100 things to do. Nevertheless, she made sure they were not my concern.

After our little chat, she showed me around the premises, and the private room where the infrared sauna resides. It looks a little like a cross between a traditional sauna and a Japanese tea house, with all the same sense of relaxation implied.  I started to crave an organic white tea with cranberry-orange essence that I had at The Fridge in Kingsland a few weeks back. Yum.

Inside, is a CD player which I just about broke trying to figure out how to operate it. That or maybe the heat was getting to it.  It was loaded with a Mozart CD. The speakers were internal. There were magazines in a rack just beside the unit. There was also a rather comfy movable back board for leaning against for added relaxation.   There were about 3 or 4 ways I could set the lights. Dale was keen to make sure the "heat" settings were just right.

    The rest was up to me.   Nice.

It wasn't very hot inside when I entered, not initial heat shock. I took in a magazine and my journal to write, and I waited. I wasn't sure anything was happening yet.

Admittedly, at first I was a bit stultified. Unaccustomed to having nothing to do, I couldn't even get my mind to wander...  "be home by 3pm, ironing, vacuum, kitchen too, stop by grocery on the way back."  I had a hunch that mentally I was doing something wrong.   

Long before I started to sweat however, I started to feel relaxed.  I decided to ditch the magazine and the journal, dimmed the lights.  With the lights so low, I could tell, not only was the relaxation real, but so was the sweat!  It was like being on the beach on a hot summer day in the tropics, only it was dark and I was indoors.  

After that, I started to notice my back feeling more flexible where it is usually tight and stiff due to that nagging arthritis.   I really liked the unfettered feeling. I didn't notice anything different in my breathing, except that I was relaxed. I didn't notice anything like a change in heart rate either.  

I stepped out of the unit once to get a sip (gulp) of water, although I didn't feel inordinately thirsty.  The rest I drank after the session.  They say it is important to drink WATER before and after. 

When I got out, I was drenched.  One of the articles I read on infrared, referred to the intense sweating as a very good thing, since it releases toxins. Remember in my last entry, how I was wondering why I had stopped working out?  I am hoping that getting rid of some toxins might help clear that up too. ;)    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment