Wednesday 16 April 2014

Jump Started


Confession time.


I haven't exercised in nearly 10 months.


That's it, and if you can forgive me, I'd be much obliged.

It wasn't what I was expecting in the least.  Quite the opposite.  I had left my July holiday in Europe feeling physically stronger and determined to up my exercise a little.  I was looking forward to doing a little more and feeling a little bolder too.

For reasons, that I still cannot explain, when I came home, I stopped after 14 years of commitment to swimming. I had loved it.  I liked it too, and it was good for me.  Short of believing that the chlorine had ruined my brain, I am baffled still as to why I won't go.

I experienced it like the end of a relationship, or a room mate leaving, or a sister going off to Uni and never having breakfast together again.  That's how much me and swimming were a thing.


Too, I experienced it as a coming of age thing after a while.  Really.  Sad as it may seem at first, I am middle aged and I think from the depths of my heart I have given up a kind of vanity. It is truly something I never want to return to, that fruitless self-absorbtion, the false need to live up to something that is beneath our ideal identity.  I guess you can call it "living down to."

Youthfulness is good, but now it is only good in the heart, where you can touch the soul of a child, or anyone for that matter.  Attractiveness is good, but now it is only good as a matter of character and not a physical thing.   Honestly, I think I may be maturing or something. If there is a subconscious process, for now, I'm willing to go with it.  Because for now, it has to be okay....

.... and then again it is not.  I mean I am happy that these superficial things don't matter.   But in this world, exercise is not necessarily a superficial thing. It is a necessary thing for health and well-being, especially for us city dwelling middle agers who still have kids at home.  So I put my mind to how I may convert myself back into a woman who exercises... hmmmm... thinking, thinking, thinking.  A friend of mine unwittingly gave me something that helped me turn it all around...   a one month free membership to Contours.

No I am not being paid to do this.

No they didn't even ask me to.    I offered.

The ladies at the Contour's Gym in Glenn Innes were wonderfully accommodating, easy to talk to, and never too "busy" for me. They appear quite keen to provide a healthy indulgence. I'll write more about that later.

And oh, I hope my readers are not expecting photos.  For me this is a matter of health, of ethos and fortitude, and not physical image.

So, if you are willing to take a little month's trip with me to the gym, you are more than welcome through this blog.  I would love your feedback too.  You never know, something you have to say may reach out to someone reading along.  Just be kind and caring please.  Exercise is a very personal thing, and our readers may be sensitive.




No comments:

Post a Comment