Friday 25 April 2014

Round 3 DING!


Learning the ropes...

On Thursday I got an introduction to the work out floor.   

Filled in a questionnaire. 

Easy enough.  I was starting to like this workout stuff. 

Then Pich, one of the fabulous instructors,  made a routine to follow based on what I like and don’t like, and my goals. Funny how goals are so clear to me at my age, when they were so elusive when I was younger... Surely you understand. When we were younger we all kind of had the option of becoming Olympic Gold medalists.  Don’t believe me?  Have you seen the movie Cool Runnings?  The Jamaican bobsled team? Now that I know I could never be one of those, it is so much easier to set a goal.   

 We started with the rowing machine.   Remember that 10 months?  If my legs could talk, I’d have been reprimanded.   Pich thought for certain I should be able to go faster.  Nothin’ doin’.  No matter how hard I tried, those muscles were not going to move any faster.  I kept referencing the 10 months.   My quads and other muscular companions were not intimidated in the least.  I think Pich wasn't too impressed either (just kidding, she was actually quite nurturing, but just humor me here)  

Pich is not a drill sergeant or anything, but she knows what her goals are for us, and I have a feeling she knows why too.  After all, we are there to get results and not to putz around.   She however looks like a Gold medalist in something - probably rowing - and so, I am sure she was just sharing the wealth.  

Grateful for that 10 minutes of affliction, we moved on to some other machines. 

You don’t always know what you’re missing...   That machine stuff isn’t always as straight forward as you may think.  She demonstrated it for me, and then she watched me muck it up.  . . .  Well how was I supposed to know that you can get some core strengthening from the pull down bar?   See that’s why people like Pich are not only necessary, they are necessary.  With her avid instruction, I tucked in whatever tummy muscles I have and it made the difference.  

I only wish Pich had time to help me out again.  She’s pretty good. 


Did you know it takes an hour to rev up the sauna?  

After the workout, if you can call it that, cause it was more like  a "muscle wake up" session,  it was finally  sauna time.  This time I was not curious and quite eager to get started.  I took in a book, and a journal, and shared the time with them both.   Again it wasn’t “sauna hot” in there, but after 10 minutes I was.. and then all that sweat and relaxation came on like clockwork.   

No tan. 

DO NOT get this confused with a tanning bed.
   
I do want to look up infrared and complexion. My blemishes are disappearing.  


I guess you have to try it to believe it.  

In all honesty, I have missed my workouts.   I am enjoying being in a women's gym, and I'd like to write a little more about that in another post.  I feel a lot less anxious after just two visits. I do wish that there was a little more for me to do on the gym floor, but I have to be realistic, knowing that working into it slowly is a good thing.  It is a good thing, taking advantage of this positively instructional, and life affirming opportunity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment