Friday 2 May 2014

Day Two in the Gym

It was my 4th day at Contours, my second day on the gym floor, and 3rd time in the sauna.

Okay so in walking up to the Contours gym, these past few times, I have noticed these little people on their way to the same place....  Oh yeah, they have been following me every time.  I was feeling a little suspicious at first.  "So I'm going to be lifting weights with toddlers?"  Hmmmm.   Well if you can call what I do lifting weights. Many of the women who work out there are mothers, and really every mother needs some kind of support to get it all done.  No nanny?  No problem.  There is a daycare room right there.  I should take a peek into the room one day just to see if they have better toys to play with than we do.

For the record. I am liking the toys we have. There are free weights and I took some of them into my floor "routine". I also noticed that Pich was working with another member with free weights.  This lady was in great shape. It was that healthy balanced kind of good shape that people have when their spine is aligned well and all the movements were just right.  Kids seems to have all their muscle groups working for them in all the right ways. But as we get older, it seems that some muscle groups are stiff, like mine, or some have kind of gone to sleep, or atrophied a bit.

A balanced body is so lovely in its engineering. I have a friend, we'll call her Amanda, she is deeply devoted to her exercise. She is beautiful through and through, and she has those graceful movements that make her appear so grounded and well rounded. It gives the impression of a healthy mind as well.  That's what I remember about this woman who was working out last Thursday.   Her outlook seemed positive, and her focus seemed sure. There were a few ladies who looked like that to me. I felt proud of them too in some empathic way.

That balance is the main reason why I exercise. For me it is not about weight as much as it is about balance. It is that well rounded feeling that makes exercise worth it. Balance makes everything I do feel better, even house cleaning, even breathing. For me the feeling of a clean breath goes with a well aligned spine, like every breath is a meditation.

The rowing machine was already a little easier. I was able to pick up speed where needed.  I must say however, I really am starting to miss the pool.  It is a longing of mine to be in the water, and maintaining those strokes.

The exercise took about an hour, and I was a little pressed for time.  Will have to get an earlier start this week.  I plan on going in about 3x this week to see how I fair.

The infrared, I think I will not do it at the same time as exercise. Last time I got a headache. I am appreciative of the therapy it gave.  Water and a banana, and some guacamole and crackers helped, and I was feeling better just an hour later. Of course lots of water.

 I know this sounds a little different, but my back has been hurting all weekend.  This was a good hurt. It means my stiff vertebrae are moving again and that the muscles are getting used to being active.  It also means they are threatening to lock up again if I don't make the effort to keep them limber.

So far so good.   See you again in the next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment