Thursday 8 May 2014

Health and the Pamper Factor

Every time I go to Contours I look for things.  I do it somewhat unconsciously.  Part of my motivation is that, quite frankly, I'm rather spoiled.  So, when I go to places like these, I guess I look for the "pamper factor".

It is a wonder I lasted over two years going to the community pool. Those places are kind of unkempt, and they don't smell good either (usually poorly ventilated). The volume of people that go through compared to the number of hardworking staff is much higher at the pools. I can't imagine how they would keep it nice. Likewise, at most gyms I have been to, the staff to client ratios are much higher than this place.

At Contours I notice all the things that were missing at the community pool:  hair dryers, scales, nice sized lockers,  carpeting that isn't sopping wet, a community information board, the credentials of the women who work there are posted, there's water available on the gym floor, and the staff is incredibly friendly.   And the best part is that it is clean, clean, clean.

NO I take that back.  That's not the very best part. But, the very best part isn't physical comfort, it is emotional, social comfort.  Truly.  The ladies who work out there are so balanced in the way they go about things, and they respect your privacy.   Better still is the unconditional positive regard from the staff that sets the tone. One feels like one is being cultivated there, not just exercising. Granted not in the intellectual sense, but certainly not merely in the physical.   I see it in the confidence that the ladies have trying new things with the trainer.  They have real zeal.

I kid you not about the cultivation.   The women there know their exercise!  Every level of work out goes on there.   It is so nice to be in a place where the women feel good about their workouts, and it is not about being attractive, but they appear to have a healthy well-rounded outlook.  If I were to go a little more into it, I think it is because the sense of balance they they get physically translates existentially.  It seems like balance, core, stability and real fitness is the true goal. I have never seen it like this anywhere else.

Last time I was there, I didn't plan my time as well as I would have liked, but that was my bad so to speak.  I am gaining strength quickly and I like that.  My back pain is diminished even though it is a damp rainy day.  I didn't go into the sauna.  I don't really want to go more than twice a week.   It does seem to be delivering everything I read it should. My complexion is improving, I am gaining flexibility that I can easily notice every time I back up the car and I can actually see what is behind me.

Its only been two weeks, and I like the results.



No comments:

Post a Comment